General information on housing options in the area is available by calling Manchester Senior, Adult and Family Services at  647-3096. Staff can also consult regarding programs and services which may help someone remain in their home.  

For your convenience, Senior, Adult & Family Services has a list available of local apartments with landlord/management names and phone numbers.    

Manchester Housing Authority (643-2163) manages independent elderly and disabled apartments (many are subsidized) and maintains a waiting list.  Tenants, who must be 62 or disabled and within income limits, pay approximately 30% of their  income for rent. A structured system of services is usually not available but tenants may bring in their own help. 

Congregate  Housing is elderly rental housing which includes a private kitchen and bath and offers some assistance.  Typically, services include one meal daily, housekeeping and recreation as well as an on-site staff person 24 hours per day for emergencies.  Westhill Congregate may be contacted at 643-8881.

Orford Village Commons, offers independent subsidized apartments for people at least 62.  Call 1-800-525-8478 or 643-5310.                                             

Assisted Living is a managed residential community of individual apartments that also provides support services through a licensed assisted living agency.  Core services typically include laundry, recreation, meals, housekeeping, and transportation.  Nursing services are also available.   Monthly fees vary according to service level and apartment size.  Assisted Living Communities are available in surrounding towns.         

Residential Care Homes are licensed by the Department of Public Health and are also called rest  homes, homes for the aged and board and care homes.  Rooms are private or semi-private.  The communal living environment includes three meals a day, housekeeping, medication supervision, recreation and 24-hour supervision.  Some residents receive subsidies from CT Dept of Social Services.            

Continuing-Care Retirement Communities or life-care communities provide various levels of care from independent through nursing home to meet the changing needs of residents.   Residents must be independent upon admission and enter into a contract requiring a lump sum entrance fee and monthly fees.                                 

Section 8 Housing Assistance Payment Program subsidizes qualified renters for private apartments they have located.  Call  643-4832 for requirements and current information on the waiting list. 

View a Listing of: Housing Options for Older Adults & People with Disabilities  

The Official Seal of Manchester, CT

A to Z Department Listing | City News & Info | Businesses | Residents | Visitors | RSS Feeds
Website Statement | Contact Us | Document Center | E-Services | Quick Links | Site Tools

Town of Manchester, Connecticut
41 Center Street
Manchester, CT 06040
(860) 647-5235
On 9.1

2014 Digital Cities Winner